Dahl Tug and Barge

History

In 1912 the Dahl family entered the industry as fishermen based out of Saginaw bay, Alaska. In the 1940's we picked up a contract with the military, hauling mail to and from the Aleutians during WWII in the Silver Wave, which is now privately owned. At this time the company name was Dahl Transportation Co. Once the war ended, and there was no need for mail transport, we started hauling dried fish salted in brine from Alaska to Seattle and brought meat and fresh vegetables back. With business accelerating and refrigeration becoming readily available, brothers Stanley Dahl and Fred Dahl Sr. purchased an old navy freighter and converted it into a freezer transport feighter that was 104 feet long and started transporting frozen goods to and from Seattle, this became the start of the Alaska Outport Transportation Association, which was founded by Stanley Dahl and W.R. Kuppler. Stanley sold his portion of the stock in AOTA and started Dahl Bros with Fred Dahl Sr. In 1965 the current owner and operator, Fred Dahl Jr., joined forces with his father, Fred Dahl Sr. and worked along side Bob Voshel, who later became a part owner of the company. Fred Dahl Jr. and Bob Voshel bought out Fred Dahl Sr. and Stanley Dahl and then changed the name of the company from Dahl Brothers to D&V boat company. In 1967 we bought our first tugboat, known as the Double Eagle. Since then we have owned and refurbished many tugboats and have towed just about everything.